Monday, October 21, 2013

#3 Religious Shrines in the modern home

Having a shrine to Buddha is one of the many features that you can find in an Asian home. Growing up around 2-3 different ones in my household, this is what is currently in my house-



Not being big on religion myself, my parents and my grandparents are the most likely to use it in the household. I do however use this around the time of important events and New Year's.
Most of these shrines are rather simple, but my mother went all out with this when she re-arranged the house.

When you walk in through the front door you'll be able to see it. Quite a hefty reminder that the house you just stepped into has Asians in it.

2 comments:

  1. " Quite a hefty reminder that the house you just stepped into has Asians in it." click like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, it is quite surprising me that people find their own methods to preserve their own cultures. I was wondering, do you want to decorate your house like your parents in the future? Do you see those objects as your "parents stuffs" or your stuffs too? Do you speak your parents' native language? I don't really have my-native-cultural decoration in my house. Do you think these objects shape your identity?

    ReplyDelete